Learn more about the National Library (NL) and find out how to make the best use of its services.
A standard tour of the public areas includes the following:
- an introduction to the history of the NL and its work
- information about the services it offers
- samples from the collections
We can organise tours for groups of five or more on request. Individuals can join a group.
For groups with special interests, we can also put together a programme focusing on additional areas, such as
- conservation and restoration
- the Literary Archives and the Hermann Hesse room (memorial and exhibition room with documents and objects from the writer’s literary estate)
Introduction for students
This introduction offers an overview of
- the collections
- how to use the NL
- the NL’s services
Afterwards you will be better placed to assess which topics and issues merit a visit to the NL.
Possible focus areas for the introduction:
- collection mandate, holdings
- tour of the public areas
- a practical overview of the work facilities, study carrels, IT resources, new media, photocopiers and microfilm readers, etc.
- searching in the catalogues and ordering documents
- specialist bibliographies and reference works, online, offline and in print
We will be happy to organise student introductions for groups of five or more.
Last modification 08.11.2022