You can normally borrow National Library (NL) publications that appeared less than 50 years ago to take home with you. If you live outside Bern and the surrounding area, we will be happy to send your order to you free of charge. However newspapers, periodicals and audiovisual and electronic media can only be consulted on site.
To borrow documents from the NL you need a library card, which will be issued to you free of charge once you have registered as a user and either presented a valid identification document or sent us a copy of it.
Registration is open to:
- Swiss citizens aged 18 and over
- Foreign residents with C or B permits
- People who are not permanently resident in Switzerland, on production of a guarantee and a copy of an identification document held by an adult resident in Switzerland
- People who are under 18 but at least 15 years old, on production of a guarantee and a copy of an identification document held by an adult resident in Switzerland
- Institutions, businesses and work groups, which must provide the name and home address of an individual who accepts liability for the card
Membership cards of NL partner libraries and BibliOpass are not automatically valid in the NL. However, you can use them to register by completing the registration form and entering your existing user number.
If you are not registered, you can also borrow documents for consultation in the reading room using a visitor card. To do so, you must deposit a valid identification document at the circulation desk.
Last modification 13.12.2018