New library system from November 12th 2018
From November 2018, the Swiss National Library’s (NL’s) online catalogue, Helveticat, is running on a new library system, using software from the Ex Libris company. The Bibliography on Swiss History (BSH) and the Swiss Poster Collection have also moved to this software.
The databases HelveticArchives and e-Helvetica Access are not affected by this change.
In preparation for this move to a new system, we wrote to all users registered at the NL at the end of 2017 and informed them about the planned changes to their personal data. Further information on data protection can be found below in the FAQ: Migration of users’ data.
Which catalogues have been moved?
The Helveticat online catalogue, the Bibliography on Swiss History (BSH) and the Swiss Poster Collection.
What is new?
- Login and password: In Helveticat, click on «Login» in the upper right corner of the start screen.
When you log in to the new system for the first time, you must use your Patron ID and an initial password. This first password is your surname, written as it was when you registered as a user: with uppercase and lowercase letters including all special characters, e.g. Németh or Meier-Müller.
Afterwards you can set your own choice of personal password (at least 8 characters).
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com or the Information Services desk (+41 (0)58 462 89 25)
- The search interfaces
- The search functions – you can find the most important search tips in the Infobox on the new homepage.
- The display of search results
What stays the same?
- Your Patron ID and your user card remain valid
- Name and content of the catalogues
For orders in Helveticat
- Loan periods
- The possibility to renew documents yourself
- The maximum number of documents that you may borrow
- The waiting period between ordering and delivery of a document