The Prints and Drawings Department of the National Library collects artists’ books, editions and books containing original graphic works as well as special editions as a specific area of contemporary Swiss art from the end of the 19th century to the present day.
Content and scope
- From the end of the 19th century and its origins as the collection of book art, through to the latest contemporary artists’ publications
- Illustrated books, books with original graphic works and special editions
- Important publishers’ programmes from French-speaking Switzerland, such as the “livres d’artistes” by Albert Skira and Edition Gonin
- From 1950 to 1990 artists’ books and editions featuring international artists such as Daniel Spoerri, Dieter Roth, André Thomkins and artist-publishers such as the Ecart group in Geneva
- From 1990 to today, in parallel with current special forms such as the “bande dessinée”, “zines” and photo books
- Since 2000 additionally the entire programmes of Swiss art publishers such as Edizioni Periferia (Lucerne), EAC les Halles (Porrentruy), Boabooks (Geneva), Marlène Frei (Zurich) and Edition Multiple (Bern)
- Artists’ books and editions, closely linked to the general library collection
- Media documenting current trends in artistic production
- Unique artists’ books and small print-run, self-published works, as well as artists’ books / editions in every printed form
Research and access
- A large proportion of the artists’ books and editions are listed in the Helveticat library catalogue
- The originals of artists’ books and editions can be viewed on site. Please contact us to arrange an appointment.
Last modification 15.08.2019