Home Content Area
In collaboration with Nitrochemie Wimmis AG (NCW), the NL is working on exploring and further developing the papersave swiss process. In this way, appropriate use of the process, suitable choice of collections and minimization of side effects will be made possible.
Large projects completed:
1. Research batch (NL, NCW; 2001)
2. Leather in paper deacidification, part 1 (NL, NCW, Bern University of the Arts and other external partners; 2001-2004)
3. Influence of papersave swiss treatment on fungi (NCW, BAR; 2004-2005)
4. Optimum treatment intensity (NL, NCW; 2004-2006)
Reports are available for projects 2-4 and have been published in the «Save Paper» conference proceedings.
1. Further development of the ‘papersave swiss' process, paper consolidation
2. Long-term evaluation of the papersave swiss process
Since 2009 a collection of „reference books" has been established which currently contains 18 samples. They are historical books and magazines, half of which have been deacidified and half of which have not been treated. The samples were ana-lyzed in a joint project with Nitrochemie Wimmis AG and the Universität für Bodenkultur in Vienna. They are stored in the NL's underground stacks and can be analyzed again later, e.g. in 10 or 20 years' time.
Questions of paper deacidification were treated at an international conference took place in the Swiss National Library in February 2006. The contributions have been published in conference proceedings, available online. Printed versions (in colour, paperback) can be ordered from the administrative office of the NL at a price of CHF 120.00 (EUR 80.00), plus delivery costs.
The conference was organized in cooperation with the Swiss Federal Archives and sponsored by Nitrochemie Wimmis AG.
End Content Area